The Department of Home Affairs published the White Paper on International Migration on the 29th of March 2017, ushering a new visa regime for South Africa.
The current policy in international migration is set out in the 1999 White paper on international migration, implemented through the Immigration Act, 2002 (Act No.13 of 2002) and partly through the Refugees Act, 1998 (Act No.130 of 1998).
The White paper recommends policy and strategic interventions in eight (8) policy areas:
- The management of admissions and departures
- The management of residency and naturalization
- The management of international migrants with skills and capital
- The management of ties with South African expatriates
- The management of international migration within the African context
- The management of asylum seekers and refugees
- The management of the integration process for international migrants; and
- The management of enforcement
The Government Gazetted White Paper on International Migration can be obtained on the Department of Home Affairs website: http://www.dha.gov.za